Monday, July 25, 2011

Painful Reality

Recently I (Josh) read a blog by a medical missionary serving in Ethiopia about the reality that many in the country face (I will warn you that this is extremely difficult to read but you must read it - CLICK HERE). But as I struggled with emotions of sorrow, outrage, and disbelief I was reminded of Matthew 25:45, "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these my brothers of mine, you did for me." Francis Chan in his book Crazy Love commented that, "Jesus is saying that we show tangible love for God in how we care for the poor and those who are suffering. He expects us to treat the poor and desperate as if there were Christ himself."

And in God's sovereignty, at that moment, on the radio played "Love Me" by J.J. Heller (to listen to the song without the background music you can push pause on the player in the lower right hand of the screen).



It hit me like a TON of bricks, I felt disgusted at myself. Here I am so often giving my measly and inadequate leftovers and trying to pretend like I am making some great sacrifice. In reality I know nothing of sacrifice, nothing of difficult decisions. What do I know of trials and sacrifices that that African family doesn't experience daily. Moreover what do any of us know of sacrifice in light of Philippians 2:6-11. David Livingston an African missionary said, "People talk of the sacrifice I have made in spending so much of my life in Africa...I never made a sacrifice. We ought not talk of 'sacrifice' when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His Father's throne on high to give Himself to us."

"Jesus I need to give myself up. I am not strong enough to love You and walk with You on my own. I can't do it, and I need You. I need you deeply and desperately. I believe you are worth it, that you are better than anything else I could have in this life or the next. I want you. And when I don't, I want to want You. Be all in me. Take all of me. Have your way with me (quoted from Crazy Love by Francis Chan)."

No comments: