Friday, November 14, 2014

No place like home

How has it possibly been 2 months since my last post?  Well, I suppose I know how it is possible. Homeschool, preschool, and soccer, just to name a few, have definitely made it busy around here lately.  I thought it was time for a bit of an update on life in Colorado!

First of all, little man had his first dentist appointment and did a wonderful job.  Turns out he has great teeth!  Unfortunately, look like his big sis is going to have some problems in the orthodontic world.  Mouth that is too small.  I'll blame it on her daddy.  Ha, actually no both her dad and her mom had braces as kids. She was doomed. No cavities for anyone though! Yay!



We spend our days working hard on school these days.  I love that homeschool is flexible.  We can do school downstairs, at the dining room table, or we take the occasional trip to Starbucks! I"ve also been tutoring for our Classical Conversation Community every Thursday and have come to really enjoy it!  I'm thankful for the opportunity to be able to tutor and introduce the new information to the kids for the upcoming week.  It has definitely made life a bit more busy too!
 
Stamping her words and then writing them

Her first math worksheet. She was so proud.  

Soccer came to a close at the end of October, and we were all a bit sad. The weather was absolutely gorgeous the entire season and the girls played hard. It was their second season playing together and you could tell they were really starting to learn the basics of the game!  This girl is already asking when the spring season begins. 


I took a short trip to Dayton in October and it was so wonderful to see friends and give lots and lots of hugs. 




SO. MUCH. FUN.

I did a Norwex party while I was there and not only got to talk about Norwex, but also go to see many other friends there and give more hugs.  It was awesome.  I miss the girls I worked with so very much. It was great to see them. It is hard to believe that I haven't been working for 2 whole years! Wow, time flies.  Here is a pic of some of my favorite Norwex products.  Love em.  They make cleaning so much faster, easier, and take out all chemicals.  Ok, enough about that.  I could talk for hours. 


We had a lot of fun as a family this fall. We visited a pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins, made homemade apple butter and applesauce, and spent time with neighbors on Halloween.



This is the only picture I got of their costumes.  Brandt was not so happy about all of the scary things. Mostly due to a house on the corner that literally had someone chasing kids with an ax. REALLY PEOPLE? This mama was not happy!!  Oh well, we got to teach the kids about pretend things and how not be scared. Let's hope he's not scarred for life right?

We had a very special visitor in November! Uncle Mark came to visit for an entire weekend.  Josh and he got a day to go to fun stuff together and they let us join them the next day for a trip to Rocky Mountain National Forest.  It was a great weekend!!



So, how is life in Colorado? I would say this month was definitely a turning point for us.  It is finally, after almost 11 months, starting to feel a bit like home.  There are still days when I'm really missing Dayton and our life and the people there, but I"m slowly able to become more content with where God has us now.  I"m excited for what He has in store and for what he's doing in our lives.  To be honest, I was not at the point 6 months ago, but I knew God was trying to grow me and teach me more things about Him.  I'm thankful for how far he has brought our family and for what he's already done in the last 11 months.  Several friends told me to give it time.  They told me it would take at least a year to feel settled.  I knew it, but my heart didn't want to deal with it.  I wanted to run away.  Thankfully, God is faithful.  So here we are in Colorado almost 11 months later.  I don't have to use the GPS everywhere I go anymore.  We have established doctors, eye doctors, and dentists.  I have a Colorado drivers license and am not covered in paperwork for insurance changes and all other paperwork involved in moving.  We have great neighbors and a great small group (thank the Lord for them!) and a church family.  We are beyond thankful for where God has placed us and for the home he has given us. It's funny, but we count our wood fireplace as a gift from God.  The very first cold night we had we made a big fire. We sat in the dining room and marveled out how it helped our place feel like home.  It was good to say that.  We were home. 





1 comment:

Allison Walton said...

I'm so glad to hear you are settling in and meeting people! It really does take a little while, but once you get in the groove, it helps. I've been praying for you all.